Sunday, September 28, 2008

Well duh...

For the first time in nearly three years I've been at the house by myself all weekend. It's kind of nice not to have be courteous or quiet. But then after I've read all the old periodicals laying my chair and nightstand, it starts to get old. Nobody else is going to get up in the middle of the night and put the dogs out. Nobody else is going to take the trash...reminds me of a song by the Cars..."Who's going to drive you home?"

Beside the minor inconveniences of life that are often eliminated by having a partner in life, I've also realized that I don't like to be the one left out or waiting at home. This is a well duh moment that carries a little more significance for me. I'm always leaving, traveling for stories, working late, having meetings, book clubs and girls night out etc. I have a life outside of my marriage. I try to encourage my hubby to do the same. But I guess I wonder if I really mean it, or just say it to be polite. I'm always calling home and telling him about the exciting things I've done or experienced. It's not often that I'm home, making sure the dogs get fed and the trash gets taken out.

I notice has been a pattern in relationships in the past. I want to the one with a dynamic life, and by all means you should have one too...but can you spare 20 minutes to talk to me or make sure the dogs get fed?

The hardest part of it is not so much the separation. My husband compares to a cat...love me, love me... ok thanks, now go away. The part that is most difficult is that we have separate lives for a few days, We're experiencing different things and not sharing them. It doesn't help that he's in Austin, Texas, one of my favorite cities, seeing great bands, and great friends and I'm not.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are sweet lady! You are the cat's pajamas. It was nice not having to get up in the middle of the night to let the dogs out. ;) You know all the Austinites love you and were asking about you. You are a great partner, and you have encouraged me not only in starting a guy's night out, but in many other things. Thanks for that. 77!