Friday, September 5, 2008

To be fair...


The Republican National Convention has come to end, to be fair I must weigh in. However, I'll admit my appetite for this this bout of patriotism and oration was limited. When McCain first came on the scene I was glad. His candidacy at least would be a change, a different kind of Republican. I was eager to hear his policies, but sadly politics or at least elections are really just a popularity contest based on few things that matter. "Is the candidate somebody I can sit down and have a drink with?" "Does she do laundry and cook too?" "Is he like me, does he know what it means to be 'working class."
Honestly to me, none of that is important. My questions would be more like, what is the policy on Iraq, taxes, is person going to think things through or simply have a knee jerk reaction? To me having a drink with them, or where they went to school is irrelevant. However, I realize my own feelings about the GOP veep are pretty petty.

Regardless of politics (or maybe politics are at the core of this)the difference in the conventions is this: Watching the Democratic convention was inspiring, gave me hope and a desire to affect positive change. Watching the Republican convention I was stunned by the devisive us vs. them rhetoric, and worried for the future of our country and military.

I think the best way to some the RNC up might be a few Haikus and choice photos.
Enjoy.

Sarah
A clip in your hair,
you talk of security,
fear is what I hear.

John
Veteran with high hopes,
bucking the system,
too smart for the machine.

Delegates
They're faces are red,
offset with hair so white,
this is my country?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And see, I didn't feel that way about the Democratic convention. In fact, I thought both of them were largely similar in the us vs. them rhetoric.

I think it all comes down to your personal political views. If you feel strongly about one party, the other party's convention is going to seem petty and partisan.

It's kind of like politics, voters and pork barrel spending. "Boy, those other guys are wasteful --- but my guy, boy, my guy is great. He's different."

I think it's human nature.

Unknown said...

I agree with you both. I think there is a little bias in my view toward the RNC. I am anxious to see the views discussed in debate and not just one sided arguments. I think then, I will have a better understanding of who I want in the White House for the next four years. One last thing, I am very underwhelmed by Palin's speeches thus far. The only thing I find redeeming about her is the idea of Tina Fey playing her on SNL.

Anonymous said...

The NY Times has an interesting graphic that represents the number of times certain words were spoken.

McCain was said 78 times at the D convention. Obama was said 25 or so times at the R convention. Don't know the full extent of the analysis, but I do know the Ds weren't mentioning McCain to praise him.

Bush was mentioned 46 times in the D analysis and Cheney was mentioned something like six times.

I guess the point I'm making is that I've heard some people say one party's convention was more positive than the other. I caught myself doing it about the R convention.

But in the end it's bullshit. These events are red meat events meant to stir up the base. Ds need to paint McCain as McSame and Rs need to paint Obama as the reincarnation of Karl Marx. Neither side is better than the other.

Oh. Here's the graphic.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/09/04/us/politics/20080905_WORDS_GRAPHIC.html

Whizbee77 said...

It's true. You are going to razzed about the convention that you identify with the most. I'm ready for the debates to begin. Let Biden eat Palin for breakfast...although she is a hockey mom. Ha! Whatever that means.